Saturday, March 10, 2007

The Importance of Being a Commentor

When I first discovered the world of blogs, I commented often. I even returned often to the comment area to see if anyone had taken issue with what I said. Now I don't know how valuable that is anymore. Is it actually possible to change anyone's mind? I suppose the answer is yes, but I have never noticed it happening in practice.

I am quite close to the saturation point of course. I barely have time to read everything I read, I certainly can't comment on everything. And yet, sometimes the urge hits me. I comment, usually once, and then forget about it. So much for conversation.

So now, I begin to wonder, are we no longer really looking to change anyone's mind? Are we instead choosing to throw ideas out there simply to see if we can find like minded people? Or, are we being even more selfish and just throwing things out there for our own edification?

I am sure, after a time, I will change my approach. After all, this blog is currently more of a Lenten observance than an attempt to deal with anything or anyone. I do see some of the things other bloggers do, and I wonder if I should start trying them too. I suppose a lot depends on what I decide this is for, after Lent.

No comments: