Wednesday, January 23, 2008

There's No Solution To A Relationship

I started going to daily Mass. This is something I do sometimes for awhile and then something happens and I don't for awhile. Anyway, I always notice how the juxtaposition between daily Mass and whatever happens afterward. You know, somebody cuts you off in traffic or something. Yeah, essentially something happens to remind me I'm a sinner. And then I want to fix it. So there's a tendency to get tired of Mass, Confession, etc... because these things don't appear to fix anything.

I was having a thought process along these lines one day after Church, and God dropped in with some other thoughts. There are solutions to problems. There aren't any solutions to relationships. I realized I do tend to think of relationships as problems that need to be solved. It's probably a guy thing.

Of course we can have problems within relationships, but I think that's another thing entirely. We can work on those problems, but I was inadvertently looking for a solution that would have effectively ended the relationship. That runs counter to the whole idea of having a relationship at all, doesn't it?

No comments: