Friday, June 6, 2014

In Certain Quarters, There Is No Listening Going On

ESR points out something I just used this morning as an example of a larger problem:
The biggest non-story that should be in the news right now, but isn’t, is the collapse of anthropogenic-global-warming “science” into rubble. Global average temperature has been flat for between 15 and 17 years, depending on how you interpret the 1997-1998 El Nino event. Recently GAT, perking along its merry level way, has fallen out of the bottom of the range of predictions made by the climate modelers at the IPCC.

He goes on to point out various pro-AGW jerks are hoping for weather so wild as to return the numbers into the range of their narrative.

They never say, yay, we aren't going to die after all. Or, hey, maybe there is fraud here.

There is no listening. The left keeps their own narrative to the point where, when a fact appears to support any assertion that can be construed as right wing, they refuse to accept it as a fact. Often the right is just as bad. But let me stop telling on them for a minute. Let me tell about me.

My view on Bergdal is changing from what could probably be described as a sort of right wing knee jerk reaction, to something else. I can tell just to day that something somewhere in my feed reader caused me to back away from the assumptions I am supposed to have about this man as a supposed deserter. I can certainly say, even though the negotiation was probably really dumb from a strategic standpoint, the general idea to get him back was a good one. However he ended up in Taliban hands, the primary responsibility lay in the U.S. government's insistence on prosecuting unjust wars. The government should get the boy home.

This is a change in thinking that I had today. I don't know that it is particularly earth-shattering, but it is something in my conscious mind that I can point to right now. What do you have? I used to believe in global warming- when I was twelve. I had a change in thinking, via learning some actual facts instead of just listening to yet another PBS scare piece, at fifteen. When is the last time you had a change in thinking?

People do not listen.

I do not think they can fathom how much I have read either, given how most sub-vocalize in order to read.

No comments: