Monday, March 18, 2019

Concept Gym In Japan

I came across an interesting video a few days ago. I thought I'd post it and put a few thoughts below:


Although I am not very social, I did like the concept- given that like 99% of the world is more driven by socialization than I am and they obviously need some sort of social help to make improvements. Otherwise, everyone I know would be healthier.

The things I'd do differently:

1: a stronger emphasis on muscle. Don't get me wrong, a Japanese person would still look very slim. But at 6'3, I once got down to 164lbs, which felt like quite an accomplishment after having been an obese 285lbs. But I came to realize I needed to be somewhere near 200lbs. Many modern causes of death are preceded by muscle loss. I want enough muscle to increase the chances I'll be around if I have to deal with any of that stuff, but not so much that the mere act of eating enough to maintain that muscle becomes a full time job.

2: I noticed in some of the photos, they were hanging out, having a beer. To me, if people have internalized and understand diet, they'd likely be having dry wine, sake, or liquor. So, I'd want to educate somewhere along this low-carb paleo-ish thing that helped me so well, but what I really want, and would be trying to create, is a situation in which the client understood his or herself well enough to understand what works for them. This is a huge disconnect in modern life.

3: And speaking of modern life- I would emphasize the importance of circadian rhythm. Sunlight in the morning, no blue light at night, getting to bed at a reasonable hour, etc...

4: The fashion part seemed to be something their clients enjoyed, but it also seemed more like them being dressed in costumes by someone else, rather than developing a personal style. This was probably the most complicated part of the concept, and included designers, shopping, and getting that card, which seemed to give you more exclusive access to people you would theoretically need less if you had actually learned anything. Admittedly, the clients seemed to have a desire for social inclusion- which I would not put a very high price on. So, although it is a bit bewildering, this is likely the thing that if I were to change, I'd change last- after watching it for a long time, trying to figure out where the objective measures are.

No comments: