Wednesday, November 10, 2021

Kenosha reminds me of a pattern

I am noticing this Kenosha thing as a sort of evidentiary process against the notion that we just go online and get fooled, start conspiracy theories, or whatever the delusional say nowadays.

Despite Twitter being onboard with the narrative program, here I am seeing folks tweet directly about the trial as they watch it.  Meanwhile, the mainstream throws out a bunch of lies that are easily contradicted by the trail itself.  

I don't even need to watch it myself.  I could.  I could follow links people post.  

Generally though, I don't.  I know I don't have to.  This is a very obvious pattern.  

It's difficult to deal with people who don't see the pattern, especially if they happen to have some power over your life.  They may be liars, sociopaths, or they may be nice people still deluded by this stuff.  Regardless, they are threats.  They want us to assent to the lie.  They make decisions based on these lies, and these decisions are extremely unfair- often criminal.  

Nor can they recognize you are justifiably angry.  Logic doesn't work with them.  Perhaps the best advice I have heard is to treat them a little like a mentally ill family member.  But I forget sometimes.  I assume people would be happier knowing the truth, that perhaps some simple logic would help them not make really stupid mistakes.

But that all comes to naught, and tends to put me more on edge, because now they have identified me as not of their kind.  

Sure, I guess some of the folks on Twitter are just not following the same sorts of people I'm following.  But you'd think they'd have seen a mainstream lie get destroyed in about 12 minutes by now- even if it's something relatively non-political.  Even before social media, one of the chief indications of either poor or false information came from pilots about stories involving aircraft.  The pilots know stuff the journalists don't know, and they would often find inaccuracies.  The argument about whether or not it just meant the journalist didn't know what he was doing or if there was some sort of cover-up going on in a particular case is moot.  The point is, when the pilots spoke up, we knew the original story was wrong.

Facts, statistics, how things work versus the movie version of how they work, various research papers (and the people smart enough to blog coherently about them)- none of this is conspiracy theory.  Emergent phenomenon- especially behavior coming from bureaucracies- well it's not even a theory, it is an observation.  

As you might guess, I am getting quite tired of this.  


No comments: