Saturday, March 17, 2007

Death of Equality

The internet allows me to find more interesting subjects than ever. Unfortunately, this has highlighted the difference between me and everyone else. Most people simply don't have as many interests. Most people are interested in things that don't interest me very much at all, like sports or shopping. Some subsection of the aforementioned people simply don't have the intellectual capacity to understand anything more than what little they are already interested in.

This sucks. I feel like I've had the egalitarianism beat out of me. I am approaching a mind set that many would call arrogant, yet it isn't born out of arrogance at all. Every day, someone has to remind me that my ideals, in this case the ideal of equality, has no basis in reality.

We are all created equal. That means we all come squalling out of the womb, completely dependent on our parents. In those moments of helplessness, we are all equal, but the situation quickly changes.
All the more reason to have freedom. Oftentimes the smart or ambitious can be found on the wrong side of any class order. We benefit by allowing easy change.

I don't think, however, we benefit much by allowing easy voting. Very few people are informed. In response the political parties field candidates who are "electable." We get a similar sort of policy. It's bland, and palatable to the largest number of people. And most people are okay with massive redistribution, as long as they don't feel it in their pocketbooks.

No comments: