Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Garbanzo Pancakes

One of the interesting little things lodged in my mind recently is that anything can be flour. They may have done more than one post on the idea over at Ideas in Food. This is one of those concepts that I can actually play with in my humble abode, or more specifically, my quite un-lab like kitchen.

So, I took a cup of garbanzo beans, a half cup of evaporated milk (the only kind of milk I had on hand), one egg, a pinch of salt, and somewhere near a teaspoon of baking powder and blended it all up with my immersion blender. Then I made pancakes.

I wish I had a camera.

Anyway, they were pretty good. Most importantly, to me anyway, they browned well. In fact, they were enough like pancakes for me to seriously wish I had some maple syrup. I did not expect that at all. I thought they would just be an interesting savory pancake since I expected the garbanzo flavor to be a huge determining factor. I put some powdered sugar on them since I did not have any syrup. They definitely work well with sweetness.

It did seem a bit heavy, but pancakes in general seem a bit heavy, so on the whole, I think it was a delightful experiment.

No comments: