Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Confirming My Suspicions

Dr. Robert Lefever's experience with jogging:

Jogging didn’t do me any good. It bounced my kidneys all over the place so that eventually they bled from my kidney stones. It shrunk my spine so that I am now three and a half inches shorter than I was when I was twenty. Jogging took time when I would much rather be doing other things. In general it was bad news. Welcome couch – here comes your long lost potato.

Yep, it doesn't take much for me to disagree with running. I couldn't stand it when I was younger either, but at least now I have the evolutionary framework for which to disagree with it. When one is jogging one isn't traveling slow enough to gather, nor fast enough to close in for the kill when hunting. Walking, sprinting short distances, carrying carcasses back to camp- all that makes sense. So does laying about on the couch- I don't think our ancestors were much into moving about just to move about. They moved about when they felt motivated by very basic desires; otherwise they hung out in the shade.

I don't think they sat though, but if I start writing about that I'd be digressing into posture and other things when all I really wanted to do was blog about how horrible jogging is.

No comments: