Friday, February 13, 2009

Copy Protected Catholics

Jeffrey Tucker explains Leonard Read's secret weapon:

Pick up any book or publication from FEE before the 1990s. You will see a remarkable and visionary sentence on the copyright page: "Permission to reprint granted without special request." This one sentence is what made it happen. Any newspaper could print a column. Any publisher could include an essay. Indeed, he invited any publisher to take FEE book and publish it and sell it, owing no royalties and asking no permissions.

Now who would I like to read this? I don't know, maybe those Catholic writers who currently have their writing locked up behind subscriptions, fees, and who knows what else, while their more amoral colleagues can be found full-text through Google!

Meanwhile, I expect my brilliant plan of charging people to argue with me will simultaneously make me rich and convince everyone!

No comments: