Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Can A Libertarian Cut A Deal?

Well, I still have some idiot in someone else's comments trying to explain money to me, so it got me wondering about Rand Paul's Obamacare replacement.

I'm going to assume Rand Paul has written the closest thing to a libertarian bill, given that he is the closest thing to a libertarian.

The big question is, can he cut a deal with Trump, or will he waste his chances by lecturing Trump?

Soon, the traitors will do something. John McCain is practically spastic with the need to do something traitorous. Paul Ryan probably feels the same way. There are still a lot of guys addicted to the old regime ways, and they are technically still stuck in old regime nonsense- they still get their money by playing the same ball they did last year.

Trump would have to radically change campaign laws to change that game, and he hasn't had a chance yet. I don't know if anything is even on the agenda that would actually change what Congress suffers from.

Rand Paul is a bit of an outsider to those schemes, especially compared to all the others. He would be a natural ally, much like many libertarians would, if they could accept Trump needs to deliver on his campaign promises.

But again, do libertarians know how to stow the lecture and ask Trump what he needs. That's what I'd be doing right now if I were Rand Paul; Mr. President, I've got this bill, I think it's a great bill, and I'd like to know what you need in it, so that you are satisfied that you are delivering on what you promised.
I might throw some libertarian stuff in there, but I'd try really hard not to sound like a professor, but like a businessperson.

This is especially important as we have seen Trump usually has one or two issues he is firm on, but he seem flexible about everything else. He's really firm about getting more jobs for Americans. Especially if the cost imposed by government on hiring employees is significantly reduced, Trump can get what he wants, and we could have a better, freer, overall framework here in the U.S. Possibly even the world. Despite people apparently insane, I haven't seen much in the way of isolationism; I have seen a President very interested in bilateral agreements. And foreign countries, and investors, very interested in them too.

So it seem, even with trade, libertarians could help shape policy if they understood how to help Trump deliver what he promised, while keeping the costs of those promises lower than the costs we currently have.

That would be awesome.

No comments: