Monday, March 26, 2007

You Were Right Dad

Yep,

I want to start at the top. I am completely unwilling to start at the bottom and work my way up.

You know why? If I have to solve a problem, I'd like to have enough authority to complete the job.

I had another completely annoying day at work again, culminating with my boss once again proving she hasn't listened to a single thing I've said.

"Well,"she said,"I don't know you just don't do xyz!" "It would be so much faster."

"Brilliant," says I,"That solves everything!!!!!"
"Didn't I complain for months solid because our new computer system doesn't allow me to do xyz!"
"No, I have to put the rest of the damn alphabet in there to achieve the same results."

Of course, she had to mention this after I told her I've just found a huge mess that I cleaned up using the new software which triples the time it would have taken.

What's the deal with software companies who ADD IN CLICKS!!! Does that make any sense at all? Are you literally trying to make my job three times as long? And, to add insult to injury, you remove functionality so I have to do go to a different screen to find what I could in one place before!

And why, pray tell, are we putting up with this crap? Why are all the departments set up like little fiefdoms? For the month of February I checked the stats, and, as far as I can tell, I am doing 17% more than TWO other people. Sure, apples vs oranges, and all that, but still these are stats about inputs and outputs. Similar enough. I left out the hard to calculate stuff, because there are things I do and things they do that can't be easily broken down that way.

It's a simple answer: we're the government. Yep, we aren't actually trying to do anything. We have nice, protected, silly little jobs that aren't actually jobs. I'm the idiot for actually trying to do something.

So, yeah Dad, I want to start at the top. This stupid problem would be pretty easy to fix if it didn't string out across five departments, with no reasonable leadership to handle the situation.
They are actually paying for this software!

No comments: