Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Authority and the Virtue of Redundancy

Anyone with authority should be asking, "What can I do today to make myself irrelevant?" Now, obviously someone could take this wrong and violate the agreements between themselves and those that gave them authority. That is NOT what I am talking about!

Legitimate authority exists for a purpose. So, if you can acheive the purpose, solve the problem, etc... you've made yourself irrelevant. Congratulations!

I am reminded of the British empire. They did not make themselves irrelevant. Of course, they didn't intend to. But then, I don't think many people do intend to make themselves irrelevant. Especially if your worldveiw doesn't let you.

Your world view doesn't include allowing people to suffer needlessly like they do in post-imperial Africa, does it?

Part of the equation is what I like to call the "kernel of knowledge."
This kernel is pretty stripped down. You teach people how to learn and you don't have to keep teaching them. Of course, if you have the knowledge you'll be the first place they'll go to learn, but if you are gone, they know how to find the knowledge they need. The same holds true with everything else.

The sticky point is churches. We know they aren't created equal, but we are ecumenical. I predict this will be a problem. Sometimes the unchurched are unchurched because their former churches leave alot to be desired.

The subject of churches reminds me of models. I may have a lot of good ideas, but I know I can't teach a single mom how to relate to her teenage children. She needs someone who is a single mom to show her. There's too much that just can't be taught by words. We need living examples. I know this is true of my life.

No comments: