Friday, February 1, 2008

Coincidence War

Sometimes coincidences seem like demonic versions of Putti (not Cherubs, apparently), sort of innocent, cute, and attractive- but get enough of them together and they can cause real havoc. Look at all of them, lined up in a row! Surely they must mean something! But, of course, the thing they suggest is entirely and assuredly wrong, despite the small and highly improbable set of circumstances under which it wouldn't be. That's just my rationalizing mind jumping in and providing the best set of circumstances too. I hate when that happens. Imagination has its downside.

So, we are at a standstill right now. They keep coming up and bothering me; I keep smacking them back down. More coincidences pop up and I have to remind them that they aren't proof of anything, and more not proof of anything just doesn't add up to proof of this thing. They sure do like to pretend they have weight.

Which leads me to wonder how often we get led down some path just because of coincidence. I doubt I'd be as aware of this if the arguement wasn't quite so obviously wrong. And what if these sneaky little coincidences come dressed in false light?

Oh well, I'm off. I'm putting the armor on, and I shall fight!

No comments: