Friday, January 22, 2010

Is That Me?

My mental image of myself hasn't caught up.

Well, I guess I never really felt like I was that guy I saw in the mirror, but now it's simultaneously much more pleasant and shocking to see that face.

I was much heavier than I am now all through high school; I'd have to reach back past puberty to find an age when I was 171lb, and I just can't identify with that kid. I can't really remember him.

I like it, but also raises uncertainty. I notice the 'pay attention to me' thing some women do, and then sometimes I notice the pouty thing happening when I don't. A bit of a habit I picked up from back when they didn't want to talk to me. Besides, considering, the habit probably keeps me safe. But I digress.

I wonder how long it takes to beat that sense of dislocation.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mrs. Deering said...

171! That's crazy.

Good for you though. I'll have to come by the library with the kids one day. Lorelei is too cute with her walking. :)